Treatment options for joint pain
At the Orthopedic Center of Excellence, Mercy's team of orthopedic specialists is dedicated to the care and treatment of joint pain. We offer many effective treatment options and always begin treatment with the least invasive methods first.
Effective treatment plans include:
- Resting the joint, applying heat or ice
- Pain medication or anti-inflammatory agents
Physical therapy as ordered
- Pain medication given directly to the joint
In more severe cases of joint pain, surgery may be recommended. Arthroscopic surgery is a minimally-invasive technique used to diagnose and treat joint problems. Mercy's orthopedic surgeons use highly specialized instruments, inserted through incisions about one-half inch in size, to reconstruct joints.
Other patients may require full joint replacement surgery. In each case, our orthopedic surgeons perform surgical procedures to lessen pain, reduce recovery time and allow you to regain the full use of the joint as soon as possible.
Benefits of Joint Replacement Surgery:
- Reduces or eliminates pain
- Restores lost range of motion
- Allows you to resume many or your normal activities
Patients and families receive training and education about joint replacement before surgery to help patients establish appropriate post-surgical expectations. Educational materials include:
- the joint replacement procedure
- how to prepare for surgery
- anesthesia options
- the recovery process
- pain management
- physical and occupational therapy
- follow-up care